Sunday, August 23, 2020

Post 12: Cello First Test Assembly with Strings

     I am always anxious to see if my latest "Music Making Machine" actually works. In the case of this cello, I have not made the bridge with a built-in piezo pickup yet, so I thought it would just be a non amplified acoustic, and that it wouldn't produce much of a sound at all, like an electric guitar without the amp...

     I installed the strings and the bridge this morning to test the sound and the bridge height. I used the wooden cello bridge I had cut down about a 1/2", and deliberately left it a bit too high so I could figure out exactly how high the final metal bridge should be. I tuned the strings a few times to low E-A-D-G.

      Well, I was surprised how loud the bowed strings actually sounded. I thought I would try to just stick a plain round piezo to the side of the bridge itself to see what it would do. Again here, I was very surprised by the loudness and relative quality of the sound. 

     Here is the test assembly of the cello. A side view with all my little stuff, and the blueprint in the background:


       A general three-quarter view showing it off. I am really pleased with the look:


     A detail of the neck plate and bridge:


   A detail of the bridge and tailpiece. It shows the round piezo pickup stuck to the side of the bridge. I will definitely use the little balls on it rather than the knurled nuts:


      Finally, a very rough test assembly of the scroll. That part definitely will need more work to fit everything properly.


     Want to hear the sound? I moved the stick on pickup to the top, right between the legs of the bridge.  
     Here is a short recording:
https://soundcloud.com/jjgaudel/musicmachine-1-8-23-20-154-pm

     OK, it's no Strad! The A string buzzes pretty bad on plucking, the D and G sound rather harsh and metallic,  but I am overall pretty happy with the low A and low E... The instrument definitely has a lot of sustain, maybe too much. Also, I am using a cheap violin bow, which makes it hard to keep the pressure.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 34: Thinking of a headless and fretless bass

   I would like to use that wonderful piece of canari wood to try my hand at making a more traditional wooden bass. I want it to be special ...