Thursday, June 8, 2023

Post 39: Sanding the fretboard, AGAIN

     Well, I was not satisfied with the fretboard. The 13" radius was fairly constant all the way down, but it wasn't perfectly flat. The ebony board has a slight curve and some flexibility, so I drilled 3 holes in the fretboard where dots will go and screwed it to a flat piece of 2x2. I used a perfectly straight board of padouk as a flat base for a long strip of 80-grit sandpaper I attached with double-stick tape.  I could clearly see the shiny low spots as soon as I started sanding the fretboard:


      I kept sanding till all the shiny spots disappeared. The resulting fretboard has a radius varying from 13" at the nut to about 15 or 16 at the other end. It is actually a good thing as that will allow for a flatter bridge. It's now time to place the dots and sand them down level with the fretboard.

     Speaking of the bridge, it will need to be quite low, so I plan to recess the two piezo sticks into the 1/8" aluminum top, cutting a slot in it and adding a small 1/8" aluminum plate on the backside. That will require taking the built apart and making a small notch in the through neck. 

    I will also cut a back panel for the body to match the front panel and attach it when I reassemble the body, including the pickup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 34: Thinking of a headless and fretless bass

   I would like to use that wonderful piece of canari wood to try my hand at making a more traditional wooden bass. I want it to be special ...