Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Post 34: Thinking of a wooden 5 Strings Bass

      I like the look of those Stradi basses so much I am entertaining the idea of actually making a fretless wooden bass along those lines, even though I lack the professional woodworking equipment. 


     I happen to have a well-seasoned plank of Padouk about 4"W x 48"L x7/8"T.  That is long enough to make a one-piece body, using lighter wood for the sides of the body. 
     Ttuners must be underneath the body, as the neck ends this way:


     Here are some other examples of designs I particularly like:








      I will let all that mature a few days before I start sketching. I may run by Woodcraft to see what light-colored wood they might have in stock to make the body out of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 34: Thinking of a headless and fretless bass

   I would like to use that wonderful piece of canari wood to try my hand at making a more traditional wooden bass. I want it to be special ...