Thursday, August 20, 2020

Post 10: Cutting the aluminum parts and building the "body"

    I should probably call it a frame rather than a body. Anyhow, I managed to find just enough 1/8" aluminum pieces for the cello and cut the frame plates and the scroll parts. I drilled the holes for the assembly:

    I have some short 8-32 oval head brass screws on order, but decided to use some round head 6-32 brass screws and washers that I already had instead. I can always go back and replace them later. I drilled the tubing and assembled everything.  It turned out looking pretty good:

     Now I need to install the tuners and finish the decorative scroll.

     I have been thinking about how to build and shape the bridge. I cut the wooden bridge I had down about a 1/2" to bring it close to the height I need, and then doodled some accented shapes based on actual historical cello bridges. This is where I am at the moment:

     It will of course not be made of wood, but will be carved out of a chunk of aluminum, with brass decorative insets, and incorporate a piezo sensor.  The curvature of the top will be slightly increased.

    I will probably first put the cello together with this wooden bridge and adjust it before carving the aluminum one, which promises to be quite a challenge...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post 34: Thinking of a headless and fretless bass

   I would like to use that wonderful piece of canari wood to try my hand at making a more traditional wooden bass. I want it to be special ...